Sing&Grow is a community driven music therapy project that provides services for young children and their families.
Programs focus on strengthening family relationships, building capacity in parents to support their children's development in the early years of life, and encouraging the use of music within communities.
- Sing&Grow started in partnership with Playgroup Queensland in 2001, and expanded Nationally in 2005
- Sing&Grow is partially funded by The Australian Government Department of Social Services
- Between 2005 and 2015, 10 039 families had participated in Sing&Grow programs across 672 sites nationally, and we continue to provide services nationally to around 2000 families each year
- Services are facilitated by Registered Music Therapists, with additional Sing&Grow training
Through the sharing of both traditional and non-traditional children's songs, Sing&Grow provides families with a safe space to interact in new and positive ways, to increase their confidence to use music and play at home, and to learn new ways to support child development. Services encourage children and parents together to explore percussion instruments, drums, ribbons, balls and parachutes in a developmentally stimulating, fun and musical environment.
- Group Programs (Weekly Sessions)
- Home Visits
- Community Engagement Sessions
- Community Partnerships
- Facility-Based Placements
Please note that not all services are available in all locations and some may only be available through a brokering system.
Music therapy is a research-based practice and profession in which music is used to actively support people as they strive to improve their health, functioning and wellbeing (Australian Music Therapy Association Inc.). Music therapists are required to complete a minimum of 4 years tertiary training and have expertise in at least 3 instruments, in addition to studying aspects of mental health, sociology, psychology, gerontology, paediatrics and special education. For more information, please see the Australian Music Therapy Association website.
About Playgroup Queensland
Sing&Grow is a program of Playgroup Queensland Ltd (Playgroup Queensland), which is the peak body for Playgroups throughout Queensland and other interstate initiatives such as the Sing&Grow program. Playgroup Queensland supports and establishes Community Playgroups and Early Intervention programs whilst working closely with Government, non-Government and community agencies to deliver quality programs and services for families in Queensland. Playgroup Queensland also acts as a voice to Government and the wider community on early childhood and parenting issues.